AIT Community / Faculty / Resident / Gregory Yovanof
Gregory Yovanof / Professor
Athens Information Technology
44 Kifisias Avenue
15125 Marousi, Greece
Tel: (+) 30-210-668-2772
Email: gyov at ait.gr
Over twenty-year R&D and Business Development experience in the areas of: Design of communication systems, and Production of Multimedia ASIC chips. Areas of expertise: Broadband wireless communications; Design of multimedia systems; Applications of information theory; Commercialization of technological innovations. Technical management in the area of multimedia chip development and manufacturing; involved in all stages of a product life cycle – product definition, algorithm development and hardware design, foundry relationships, wafer testing, system integration and customer support. Business Development experience with hi-tech companies from the greater Pacific Rim region. Exposed to the structured environment of a big corporation as well as the creative chaos of a startup. Member of an executive team that succeeded in raising VC funds to launch a company in Silicon Valley. Associate Dean at AIT, Head of the Broadband Wireless and Sensor Networks R&D group at AIT, and the Academic Director of a M.Sc. program in the Management of Innovation.
- Oct ’02 – Present) Athens Information Technology www.ait.gr, Athens, Greece. Associate Professor
- Associate Dean (Dec. 2009).
- Head of the “Broadband Wireless and Sensor Networks” Research Group,
Managed funded R&D activities in broadband access networks, clustered ad-hoc, and wireless mesh networks.
- Has co-designed, organized and coordinated the launching of a Master’s level program in the “Management of Business, Innovation and Technology” – MBIT, www.ait.gr/acadPrograms/mbit/. Currently serves as the MBIT Academic Program Director.
- A Lecturer of the joint Harvard University, JFK School of Government and AIT executive seminar on “Managing and Shaping Change in the Information Age”.
- Adjunct Faculty, Information Networking Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.
- (Apr. ’08-Jun.’09) – Hellas Online, S.A. – Member of the Board of Directors.
- (Mar.’00-Aug.‘01) Bitmath Inc., Fremont, CA (Vice President, New Business & Research): Responsible for growing the technology portfolio and expanding the company’s scope to enter the broadband and optical communications markets. Negotiated and closed four multiyear, multimillion dollar deals involving licensing IP core technology and co-developing and marketing ASIC chips - three in the area of hardware development for the DVD market, and one in the high-growth area of optical networks. Head of a team that developed PHY level Forward Error Correction (FEC) technology for the optical network market – Reed-Solomon and BCH codes.
- (Jan.‘97-Feb.‘00) Cyclonics Inc., Fremont, CA (VP of Business Development): Joined Cyclonics when it started (Jan ’97), as the Director of Multimedia to lead a multinational team developing ICs for the DVD market. In charge of the development of a DVD-data controller chip (Demodulation, Error-Correction, DVD Navigation, embedded CPU). This chip reached mass-market production volume and gained several market awards for its performance; it was used by AKAI in the award-winning DV-P4000 DVD-player. Promoted to VP of Business Development in Sep. ’99 and planned Cyclonics’ expansion into the area of Broadband Communications (Digital-TV, cable data modem, 3G wireless).
- (Feb.’92 -Jan.‘97) Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Palo Alto, CA (Staff Scientist): R&D in multimedia processing as applied to computer peripherals (printers, scanners, MFPs, digital cameras). Expert in hardcopy imaging, image and video compression. Contributions to the ISO-JPEG standards committee. Key contributor to the FlashPix imaging format (a joint HP, Kodak, Microsoft, Live-Picture project). Co-designed the imaging system of the first HP digital camera. Worked in the areas of MPEG video coding, non-linear image filtering, wavelet compression, JBIG/JPEG hardware.
- (Sep.’89-Jan.’92) Eastman Kodak Co.- Kodak Berkeley Research/KBR, (Member of Technical Staff). Analysis, design and development of high performance communication systems. Contributed to the design of a fast LZ, lossless compression chip and the design and prototyping of a novel high-speed optical archival system. Managed a $350K basic research project in the area of color image compression.
- (Aug.’88-Sep.’89) Cyclotomics A Kodak Company (Later became KBR). (Research Scientist): Responsible for the expansion of Cyclotomics scope into the data compression area. Designed & implemented compression software packages.
- (Aug.82-Aug.88) University of Southern California (USC). EE-Dept. (Research Assistant): Engaged in research in the areas of synchronization and sequence design for spread-spectrum, Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) networks.
- Ph.D. in Communications, Electrical Engineering-Systems, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, 1988. M.Sc. in Signal Processing, Electrical Engineering-Systems, University of Southern California, 1984. Diploma in Electrical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece, 1982.
- G.S. Yovanof, A. Drukarev, "Fixed-Rate JPEG Still Image Compression,"
- European Patent 96306012.4-1241, US Patent 5,677,689, Oct. 14, 1997. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5677689.html
- K. Konstantinides, B. Natarajan, G.S. Yovanof, "Method of filtering images using image compressibility to determine threshold parameter”,
- US Patent 5,787,209 (July 28, 1998)
- K. Konstantinides, B. Natarajan, G.S. Yovanof, "Method of filtering images using image compressibility”, US Patent 6,016,366 (Jan 18, 2000)
RECENTLY FUNDED R&D PROJECTS
- MAGNET-Beyond - EU FP6 Integrated Project IST 027396 Name: My personal Adaptive Global NETwork & Beyond (MAGNET-Beyond). AIT’s role: INTRACOM Telecom’s subcontractor. WP3.2 Task leader on cross-layer (PHY/MAC/scheduling) optimization of the High Data Rate PAN protocol stack; theoretical analysis and ns-2 implementation and simulations. (04/06-06/08).
- WINSOC - EU FP6 STREP Project IST 033914. Name: Wireless Sensor Networks with Self-Organization Capabilities for Critical and Emergency Applications
- Subject: Research and development of Cross-layer optimized sensor networking algorithms and HW architectures for environmental risk management.
- AIT’s role: INTRACOM Telecom’s subcontractor. (09/06-03/09).
- iWebCARE,- EU FP6 STREP Project IST 028055. Name: integrated Web Services Platform for the facilitation of fraud detection in health care e-government services. Subject: The overall objective of iWebCARE is to provide a generic solution to the fraud occurring in eGovernment services. AIT’s role: Intrasoft Int’l subcontractor, with the objective to develop an exploitation plan for the commercialization of the iWebCARE service. (03/07-06/08)
- eMARKS - EU eTEN Project 046323. Name: Electronic TradeMARK and Industrial Design Service. Subject: eMARKs aims to optimize the protection of Trademark / Industrial Designs by offering a service that enables image-based searches of Tradmarks or Industrial Designs kept by IPOs. AIT’s role: Intrasoft Int’l subcontractor, with the objective to develop a Business Plan for the commercialization of the eMARKs service. Duration: (03/07-06/08).
- TEAM - EU IST Project 035111. Name: Tightening knowledge sharing in distributed software communities by applying semantic technologies. Subject: The TEAM project aims to develop an open-source software system, seamlessly integrated in a software development environment for enabling decentralized, personalized and context-aware knowledge sharing. AIT’s role: Intrasoft Int’l subcontractor, with the objective to develop an Exploitation Plan for the commercialization of the TEAM software platform. Duration: (03/07-06/08).
- BROADWAY IST 2001-32686 (INTRACOM S.A. sub-contract, 10/03-12/04): Research and investigation of MAC Layer Security mechanisms for Clustered Ad-Hoc Networks.
- ROMANTIK IST 2001-32549 (INTRACOM S.A. sub-contract (10/03-12/04): Research and investigation of Opportunity Driven Multiple Access (ODMA) Schemes for Multi-hop Ad-hoc networks.
INDUSTRY FUNDED PROJECTS
- BIONOVA – Market Research. AIT was commissioned to conduct a market research for an International Exposition of Biotech Products & Services organized by Bionova, S.A. (05/07-07/07).
- ADHOCNETS: (INTRACOM S.A. contract, (10/03-9/04): Research and Investigation of Clustered Mobile Ad-hoc networks.
- As a Principal Investigator or Contributor on behalf of AIT, he has participated in the following EU proposals:
2nd Call in FP7 – Oct 2007:
- URGENT: Ubiquitous TRaffic ManaGement and SafEty through EfficieNt and Reliable Communication and Dependable InfrasTructure. (Role: Contributor).
- MOBENA: MOBility for ENvironmental Awareness. Microclimate monitoring system for improving air quality in urban environments.
- VICINITY: Visually Impaired in Control in the Intelligent City. Subject: Facilitate the life of blind and partially sighted users through the combined use of several ICT tools and technologies.
- I2BEMS: Intelligent Integrated Building and Energy Management System
1rst Call in FP7 – May 2007:
- DARE: Cognitive personal networks - continuation of MAGNET Beyond. (Role: Contributor)
- UNICORN: Ubiquitous Network access through the Integration of low COst wiReless and wireline Networks. (Role: Contributor)
- BIG-NURSE-2: Multi-layered ambient intelligent system for automatic monitoring and a first level of proactive intervention on elderly individuals at home.
IST FP6 Call 4 – Sep 2005:
- e-CAR: Next Generation Telematics Architecture and Services.
- SWARM: Sensors in Wireless Ad-hoc Networks for Environmental Risk Management.
- SOCIAL ACTS: SOCIAL Activity Continuous Tracking & monitoring intelligent System.
- CLEMATIS: Collaborative working Environment promoting Mobility at work, Interoperability and Security.
- PLASMASDR: Combining Plasma Antennas and Software Defined Radio on a single platform.
IST FP6 Call 4 – May 2005:
- HAVANA: Heterogeneous AutomotiVe based Adhoc Network Architecture.
- CAMELLIA: Interdomain AAA and Context Aware security of Mobile multimedia sErvices over aLL Interconnected IP-based network infrastructures. (Role: Contributor)
- FIREWORKS: FlexIble RElay Wireless OFDM-based netwoRKS. (Role: Contributor.
1st IST Call in FP6 – April 2003:
- 4WILES: Wireless Ad-hoc Networks
- PANDA: Personal Area Networks & Data Applications
- STARS: Self-Configurable Terrestrial Adaptive Radio System
- UltraCARE: Biomedical applications of UWB systems for Health-Care
(2nd IST Call in FP6 – October 2003):
- COMTESSE: Security Management in Embedded Design
Other EU Proposals:
- ESPIA (Medea+): E-Secure Platform for ICE Applications.
- Gregory S. Yovanof, G.N. Hazapis, “An Architectural Framework & Enabling Wireless Technologies for Digital Cities & Intelligent Urban Environments”. Springer J. of Wireless Personal Communications, Special Issue on “Global Information Multimedia Communications Village (GIMCV)”. Eds.: Prof. Marina Ruggieri and, Prof.Ole Brun Madsen. March, 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, G.N. Hazapis, “Disruptive Technologies, Services, or Business Models?” J. of Wireless Personal Communications, Springer, Special Issue on “International Mobile Telecommunications- Advanced (IMT-A): Disruptiveness?” Eds.: Prof. Marina Ruggieri and, Prof.Ole Brun Madsen. April, 2008.
- A. (Subbu) Chandershekarapuram, D. Vogiatzis, S. Vassilaras and G.S. Yovanof, “Architecture Framework for Device Single-Sign-On in Personal Area Networks”, In “On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems 2006: OTM 2006 Workshops”, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, ISBN: 978-3-540-48273-4, pp. 1367-1379, 2006.
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “Security and Cooperation in Clustered Mobile Ad-hoc Networks with Centralized Supervision”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, (Special Issue on Network Security), vol. 24(2), pp. 329-42, Feb. 2006 http://www.jsac.ucsd.edu/TOC/2006/feb06.html
- C. Kolias, A. Makris, N. Nikopoulos, P. Panagiotopoulos, I. Zacharopoulos, G. Yovanof, I. Tomkos, “Comparative Study and Techno-Economic Analysis of Residential Broadband Access Technologies: GPON and FWA”, Int’l J. of Communication networks, 4:211-217, Part 3, Jul-Sep, 2005
- G. Athanassiou, L. Tassiulas, G.S. Yovanof, "Overcome Misbehavior in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: an Overview”, ACM Crossroads, pp. 23-30, Summer 2005 http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds11-4/misbehavior.html
- G.S. Yovanof, H. Taylor, "B2-Sequences and the Distinct Distance Property," Computer Mathematics & Applications, vol. 39(11), April 2000. www.ingentaconnect.com/content/els/08981221/2000/00000039/00000011
- http://www.oakland.edu/enp/ErdosA (Erdos number less than 2)
- G.S. Yovanof, S.W. Golomb, "The Polynomial Model in the Study of Counterexamples to S. Piccard's Theorem," Ars Combinatoria, vol. 48, 1998. http://kohlrabi.cs.umanitoba.ca/ArsComb/Vol48.html
- K. Konstantinides, B. Natarajan, G. S. Yovanof, "Noise Estimation and Filtering Using Block-Based Singular Value Decomposition," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol 6(3), pp. 479-483, 1997. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel4/83/12160/00557359.pdf?tp=&arnumber=557359&isnumber=12160
Chapters in Books
- Chapter title: “Avoiding Risks Related with Strategic Pricing in Virtual Enterprise Networks – An Agent Based Approach” Authors: Christos Manolarakis, Ioannis T. Christou, Gregory Yovanof, in Stavros Ponis (Ed.), IGI Global Publications, 2009.
- Chapter Title: “An Open Source e-Procurement Application Framework for B2B and G2B”. Authors: Georgousopoulos C., Ziouvelou X., Ramfos A., Yovanof G. in “E-Business Issues Challenges and Opportunities for SMEs: Driving Competitiveness” - a book edited by Manuela Cruz-Cunha & João Eduardo Varajão, (Editors), scheduled to be published by IGI Global, (formerly Idea Group Inc.), 2010. http://www.mcruzcunha.com/ebusiness/
- Chapter Title: “An Open Source platform for Student-to-Student Collaboration: The Case of TeamWeaver”. Authors: Ziouvelou X., Georgousopoulos C., Yovanof G., Ramfos A., in “Open-Source and Freeware Solutions in Education: in Theory and in Practice” - a book edited by J. Burton Browning and Jeremy Dickerson, 2010. Scheduled to be published by IGI Global, (formerly Idea Group Inc.), 2010.
- Chapter Ttile: “An Overview of Wireless MAC Protocols for Vehicular Communications” by Spyridon Vassilaras, Spyros Tsevas and Gregory S. Yovanof, in the book “4G Mobile & Wireless Communications Technologies” Sofoklis Kyriazakos, Ioannis Soldatos, George Karetsos (Eds.). ISBN: 978-87-92329-02-8 & E-Book ISBN: 978-87-92329-03-5. River Publishers, 2008.
- A. Chandershekarapuram, D. Vogiatzis, S. Vassilaras and G. S. Yovanof “Architecture Framework for Device Single Sign On in Personal Area Networks” in Volume 4278/2006 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, pp.1367-1379, 2006
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “Design and Optimization of Reputation Mechanisms for Centralized Clustered Ad-hoc Networks”, In “Challenges in Ad Hoc Networks”, K. Al Agha, G. Lassous & G. Pujolle, Eds., Proceedings, 4th Annual Mediterranean Workshop on Ad Hoc Networks, Springer-Verlag, pp. 347-356, ISBN: 1571-5736, 2006.
Select Conference Publications
- Christos Manolarakis, Ioannis T. Christou, and Gregory S. Yovanof, “Mapping Consumer Perception and Market Distribution of Consumer Products using Agent Based Modeling”, Int’l Congress on Pervasive Computing and Management, New Delhi, Dec 12-14, 2008. http://www.icpcm.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=57
- Dimitris Liapis, Spyridon Vassilaras and Gregory S. Yovanof, “Implementing a Low-Cost, Personalized and Location Based Service for Delivering Advertisements to Mobile Users”, Int’l Symposium on Wireless Pervasive Computing (ISWPC) 2008, Santorini, Greece, 7-9 May 2008. STATUS: Published, presented by S. Vassilaras. http://www.iswpc.org/2008/sessions.html
- C. Doukas, I. Maglogiannis, P. Tragkas, D. Liapis, G. S. Yovanof, “A Patient Fall Detection System based on Support Vector Machines,” 4th IFIP Conf. on Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations, AIAI 2007, Sep. 19-21, 2007, Peania, Greece.
- S. Vassilaras, Chinwe E. Abosi, Gregory S. Yovanof, “An Optimal Hop-Count Transmission Scheduling Policy with Maximum Delay Guarantees for Delay-Tolerant Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” Invited Paper, 18th Annual IEEE PIMRC, Sep. 4-7, 2007, Athens, Greece.
- Dimitris Liapis, Spyridon Vassilaras and Gregory S. Yovanof, “Implementing a Low-Cost, Personalized and Location Based Service for Delivering Advertisements to Mobile Users”, submitted to the International Symposium on Wireless Pervasive Computing 2008, Santorini, Greece, May 2008. STATUS: Pending
- K. Ntagkounakis, P. Dallas, Bayan Sharif, G.S. Yovanof, “Distributed DL/UL Asymmetry Synchronization for Adaptive-TDD Wireless Access Networks,” 17th Annual IEEE PIMRC, Sep. 11-14, 2006, Helsinki, Finland.
- D. Vogiatzis, S. Vassilaras, I. Tomkos and G. S. Yovanof, “The Emerging NGN Platform for Mobile Services & Automobile Telematics”, invited paper, 45th FITCE Congress, August/September 2006, Athens, Greece.
- D. Vogiatzis, N. Pronios, S. Vassilaras and G. S. Yovanof, “Metropolitan Wireless Access Networks: A Techno-economic Analysis Framework”, invited paper, 45th FITCE Congress, August/September 2006, Athens, Greece.
- A. (Subbu) Chandershekarapuram, D. Vogiatzis, S. Vassilaras and G.S. Yovanof, “Architecture Framework for Device Single Sign On in Personal Area Networks”, Int’l Workshop on Persistent Systems,PerSys’06, Montpellier, France, 29 Oct. – 3 Nov., 2006
- Ravi. Manishankar, P.I. Dallas, G. Karachalios, G.S. Yovanof, “On the Mobility Bounds for IEEE 802.16e Uplink”, 12th Int’l IEEE Workshop on Systems, Signals and Image Processing, IWSSIP’05, Chalkida, Greece, Sep. 22-24, 2005
- C. Kolias, A. Makris, N. Nikopoulos, P. Panagiotopoulos, I. Zacharopoulos, G. Yovanof, I. Tomkos, “Comparative Study and Techno-Economic Analysis of Residential Broadband Access Technologies: GPON and FWA”, 44th FITCE Congress, Vienna, Austria, Sep, 2005
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “On the Robustness of a Novel Reputation Mechanism for Centralized Clustered Ad-hoc Networks,” IST Summit 2005, Dresden, Germany, 19-22 June 2005. http://www.eurasip.org/content/Eusipco/IST05/papers/343.pdf
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “Design and Optimization of Reputation Mechanisms for Centralized Clustered Ad-hoc Networks”, 4th Annual Mediterranean Workshop on Ad Hoc Networks, Med-Hoc-Net 2005, island of Porguerolles, France, June 21-24, 2005.
- D. Vogiatzis, S. Vassilaras and G.S. Yovanof, “Secure Data Communication over Heterogeneous Interconnected Networks with Clustered Mobile Ad-hoc Extensions”, Int’l Workshop on Wireless Ad-hoc Network IWWAN2005, May 23-26, 2005, London, UK. http://www.ctr.kcl.ac.uk/IWWAN2005/html/present.html
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “Cooperation Enforcement in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks with Centralized Supervision,” European Wireless (EW) 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus, April 10-13, 2005.
- G. Alexandris, G. S. Yovanof, “GAL – A Scalable Routing Protocol for Clustered Ad Hoc Networks,” European Wireless (EW) 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus, April 10-13, 2005.
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis and G.S. Yovanof, “Misbehavior Detection in Clustered Ad-hoc Networks with Central Control,” IEEE International Conference on Information Technology ITCC 2005, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, April 4-6, 2005. http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1058431.1059275&coll=&dl=GUIDE&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618
- G.S. Yovanof, “The Role of Short-Range Wireless Technologies in the Healthcare Infrastructure of the Future”, (Invited Paper) Information Technology Support in Cardiology ITSC’04, June 24-26, 2004, Athens Greece.
- G.S. Yovanof, K. Ericsi, “Performance Evaluation of Security-Aware Routing Protocols for Clustered Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” IEEE Int’l Workshop on Ad-Hoc Networks (IWWAN’04), Oulu, Finland, June 2004.
- S. Vassilaras, D. Vogiatzis, T. Dimitriou, G. Yovanof, “Security Considerations for the Centralized Ad-Hoc Network Architecture,” IEEE Int’l Workshop on Ad-Hoc Networks (IWWAN’04), Oulu, Finland, June 2004.
- G. S. Yovanof "Two-Pass Rate Constrained Still Image Compression," SPIE, vol. 3018, G. Beretta & R. Eschback eds., San Jose, CA, Feb. 8-14, 1997.
- S. Grace Chang, G.S. Yovanof, "A Simple Block-Based Lossless Image Compression Scheme", IEEE 30th Asilomar Conf., Monterey, CA, Nov 1997.
- G.S. Yovanof, S. Liu, "Statistical Analysis of the DCT Coefficients and their Quantization Error", IEEE 30th Asilomar Conf., Monterey, CA, Nov 3-6, 1997.
- K. Konstantinides, G.S. Yovanof, "Improved compression performance using SVD based filters for still images," IS&T/SPIE vol 2418, Feb. ‘95, San Jose. CA http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1995SPIE.2418..100K
- K. Konstantinides, G. Yovanof, "Application of SVD based Spatial Filtering to Video Sequences," Proc. ICASSP'95, vol. 4, 2193-96, May 9-12, 1995.
- G.S. Yovanof, "Compression In A Printer Pipeline", (Invited Paper), IEEE 29th Asilomar Conference, Monterey, CA, Oct. 30 - Nov. 1, 1995.
- G.S. Yovanof, J.R. Sullivan, "Lossless Predictive Coding of Color Graphics," SPIE Image Processing Algorithms & Techniques III (J.R. Sullivan et al. eds), vol. 1657, San Jose, CA, pp. 68-82, Febr. 1992.
- G.S. Yovanof, J.R. Sullivan, "Lossless Coding Techniques for Color Graphical Images," IEEE Data Compression Conf. (DCC91), Utah, April 8-10, 1991.
- N.B. Pronios, G.S. Yovanof, "Effects of Transmission Errors on Medical Images," SPIE vol. 1446 Medical Imaging V, San Jose, CA, 1991. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1991SPIE.1446..108P
- G.S. Yovanof, S.W. Golomb, “Fast Decorrelation Algorithm for Permutation Arrays,” SPIE vol. 1347, Optical Inform. Proc. II, San Jose, CA, Feb 1990.
- "Homometric Structures," Ph.D. Thesis, Electrical Engineering Dept., Communications Science Institute, University of Southern California, 1988. Thesis Advisor: S.W. Golomb.
- "Speech Pitch extraction Using the Harmonic Sieve Method," Diploma Thesis, National Technical University of Athens, Athens Greece.
- Thesis Advisors: C.C. Halkias, and G. Carayannis, 1982.
Publications in Industry Journals, Magazines, etc
1. Γρηγόρης Γιοβανώφ, Δημήτρης Κοσμίδης, “Ο Ρόλος της τεχνολογικής Υπεροχής στην Παραγωγή Καινοτομίας ”, in Greek, «Τα Νέα», ΜΒΑ Ενθετο, 4/40-5/41, Δευτέρα 25 Σεπτεμβρίου, 2006
2. G.S. Yovanof, “WiMAX – A Disruption or Complement to 3G?”, COMPUTERWORLD, Bulgaria, www.computerworld.bg, pp. 8, Apr. 23, 2006 http://www.zoominfo.com/people/yovanof_gregory_896392941.aspx
3. G.S. Yovanof, “Innovation is a characteristic of the modern companies“ Interview: ComputerWorld Bulgaria, April 2006 www.intracombg.com/press.php?n=36
4. Γρηγόρης Γιοβανώφ, “Καινοτομία: το ανταγωνιστικό πλεονέκτημα του 21ου αιώνα ”, PC Magazine, Greek Edition, www.e-pcmag.gr, pp. 40, vol. 6.6, June 2006
5. Γρηγόρης Γιοβανώφ, “Η Γνώμη του Ειδικού: Δεν Μπορούν να Σταματήσουν το VoIP”, PC Magazine, Greek Edition, pp. 32, vol. 6(4), April 2006
6. G.S. Yovanof, “The Role of Innovation in the Modern Society,” COMPUTERWORLD, Bulgaria, www.computerworld.bg, pp. 16, Jan. 7, 2006
7. G.S. Yovanof, “Short-Range Broadband Wireless Systems & Networks: State-of-the-Art Technologies & Applications”, Electronica 2003, Sep.’03, Greece
8. G.S. Yovanof, K. Oikonomou, “Γενική Επισκόπηση των ασύρματων επικοινωνιών”, On-Line Magazine, Fall 2003.
9. G.S. Yovanof, “Ασύρµατες Τηλεπικοινωνίες - Προκλήσεις του Μέλλοντος”, Intracom INSIGHT magazine, May 2004.
Select Recent Presentations
- G.S. Yovanof, “Wireless Innovations – An Overview and Future Outlook”, Polytechnic Univ. Of Tirana, Tirana, Albania, Nov 11, 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Unified Communications – An Enterprise Productivity Tool”, 1st Albanian Telecom Forum on "ICT Convergence in the Era of Unified Communications: Bringing Academia & Industry Closer - Exploring Albania's Opportunities", Sheraton Hotel, Tirana, Albania, Nov 10, 2009. www.atf.al
- G.S. Yovanof, “An Architectural Framework & Enabling Wireless Technologies for Digital Cities & Intelligent Urban Environments”, ATHENS Digital Week, Oct 18, 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, Keynote Speaker, SensAppeal-2009, 1st Int’l Conference on Sensor Networks Applications, Experimentation and Logistics, Sep. 25th 2009 - Athens, Greece. Title: “Wireless Innovations as Enablers for Complex & Dynamic Large Artificial Systems”. http://www.sensappeal.org/keynote.shtml
- G.S. Yovanof, “An Overview of Wireless & Mobile Systems & Networks”, AIT Summer School, Peania, Greece, July 8, 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Wireless Innovations in Complex Systems” 11th Strategic Workshop (SW09) on “Wireless Innovation for Inter-dynamic Technology (WIDTH)”, Rebild, Denmark, 16-7 May, 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Open Innovation in Biotechnology: Opportunities & Challenges,”5th Int’l Greek Biotechnology Forum,IGBF5, Zapeion, Athens, Greece, May 8-9, 2009
- G.S. Yovanof chaired a panel discussion on, “Electronic Public Procurement Software Tools”, in the “Electronic Public Procurement South-Eastern Europe”, International Open Workshop, Athens Information Technology, 26 Feb. 2009.
- G.S. Yovanof, “The Challenges of Engineering Education in the 21st Century”, Infocom-World 2008, Intercontinental Athenaum, Athens, Greece, Oct. 7, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Future Trends in Wireless & Mobile Systems & Networks”, AIT Summer School, Peania, Greece, July 2, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof chaired a panel discussion on, “Location-Based Services and Proximity Marketing”, in the 2nd Mobile Marketing Conference, Pentelikon Hotel, Kifisia, Greece, Jun. 24, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof, X. Ziouvelou, G.N. Hazapis, “Effective Marketing Practices for m-Lotteries”, in the New Media Gaming Session, of the European Lotteries (EL) – Industry Days 2008, Limassol, Cyprus, Jun 19-20, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof, participated in the panel discussion “New Media Gaming: Best practices and technologies for marketing New Media Games”, moderated by Mr. Christos Moumouris, Sales Director, INTRALOT, in the New Media Gaming Session, of the European Lotteries (EL) – Industry Days 2008, Limassol, Cyprus, Jun 19-20, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof, “The Role of Cognitive WSNS in the Global Information Multimedia Communication Village (GIMCV)” 10th Strategic Workshop (SW08) on the “Global Information Multimedia Communication Village (GIMCV)”, Madeira, Portugal, May 29-30, 2008.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Embedded Internet Systems – Why?”, talk given as an Opponent in a PhD Thesis defense by Jens Eliasson. Advisor, EISLAB/Director, Prof. Jerker Delsing, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, April 4, 2008. http://www.ltu.se/d116/d127/d159/kalendarium/d1465/1.36688
- G.S. Yovanof, “Wireless Sensor Networks for Environmental Risk Management,” MSIN Research Seminar, Athens Information Technology, Peania, Greece, March 3, 2008, http://www.ait.gr/newsletter/AITnews_Feb05.pdf
- G.S. Yovanof, “WiMAX: An All-IP Broadband Wireless Network,” at the “WiMAX – A New Broadband Wireless Access Solution” Workshop of the Telecommunications Development Bureau of the ITU, INA Academy, & Agency for Electronic Communications (AEC), Skopje, Feb 13-15, 2008
- G.S. Yovanof, “Biotechnology Clusters: A tool for Regional Development,” Invited Talk, 4th Int’l Greek Biotechnology Forum, Zappeion Megaron, Athens, Greece, Feb. 2-3, 2008
- G.S. Yovanof, “WiMAX: Opportunities & Challenges,” Net Technologies & Elektrobit Seminar on “WiMAX: Mobilizing the Wireless Broadband,” Park Hotel, Athens, Greece, Jan. 16, 2008
- G.S. Yovanof, “A Novel Wireless Sensor Node Design, Networking Architecture and Application Evaluation Platform for Environmental Risk Management”, CyLAB Seminar Series, Carnegie Mellon, Oct 29, 2007
- Interview with Mr. F. Talatzis at the Flash Radio Station on the status and applications of the RFID technology (Nov 24, 2007, 4pm).
- G.S. Yovanof, “Disruptive Technologies, Applications, or Business Models?” 9th Strategic Workshop (SW’07) on “Int’l Mobile Telecommunications-Advanced (IMT-A) Disruptiveness??”, Malaga, Spain, May 30 – Jun 1, 2007
- G.S. Yovanof, participated in the panel discussion “IMT-A System & Network Aspects” Ninth Strategic Workshop (SW’07) on “Int’l Mobile Telecommunications - Advanced (IMT-A) Disruptiveness?” Malaga, Spain, May 30 – Jun 1, 2007
- G.S. Yovanof, “Innovation in the Convergent ICT Industry,” Master Class of Bulgarian Business Leaders Forum (BBLF), Techn. Univ. Sofia, Bulgaria, Feb 26, 2007
- G.S. Yovanof, “Broadband Wireless Access: The Case of WiMAX – Opportunities & Challenges,” AIT Series of Research Seminars, January 29, 2007 http://www.ait.gr/seminars/GYOV_WiMAX_29Jan07.pdf
- G.S. Yovanof, “WiMAX – Technology Roadmap,” WiMAX & the Road to Broadband Access, 1st AIT Annual Forum on Broadband Wireless Access (BWA), Dec. 6th, 2006, http://www.ait.gr/wimax/agenda.asp
- Γρηγόρης Γιοβανώφ, «Ευρυζωνικά Ασύρματα Δίκτυα – Ευκαιρίες & Προκλήσεις», in Greek, Ημερίδα για την Εκπαίδευση, ΣΕΦ, 22 Νοεμβρίου, 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, “A Layerless Future?” Eight Strategic Workshop (SW’06) on “Layerless Communications Towards a Realistic Vision”, Mykonos, Greece, June 2-4, 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, “Management of Innovation in ICT,” AIT Summer School on “Next Generation Computing Systems”, July 3, 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, “Security Issues & Challenges in Next Generation Networks,” AIT PRACSE 2006: “Practical Aspects of Security”, 1st AIT Annual Workshop on Security,, Athens, Greece, June 16-17, 2006, http://www.ait.edu.gr/pracse/presentations/yovanof/NGN_Security-Challenges.pdf
- G.S. Yovanof, “Emerging Disruptive Technologies to 3G,” ASTEL Conference 2006, “Technological novelty in the convergence process”, National Academy of Science, Sofia, Bulgaria, April 19, 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, “The Role of Short-Range Wireless in the Networking of the Smart-Home,” BEST meeting at AIT, Mar. 21, 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, I. Tomkos, “The Role of New Technologies in Reducing the Cost of Enterprise Telecommunications Services”, Joint TeleCompare/AIT workshop on Telecom Cost Management, 28 Feb. 2006
- G.S. Yovanof, “Management of Technology and Innovation in ICT,” Master Class of Bulgarian Business Leaders Forum (BBLF), Techn. Univ. Sofia, Bulgaria, Nov 28, 2005
- G.S. Yovanof, “The Role of Short-Range Wireless Technologies in the Healthcare Infrastructure of the Future”, “Petros S. Kokkalis” Neuroscience Center, 4 Mar 2005.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Cooperation Reinforcement in Clustered Mobile Ad-hoc Networks”, (Invited talk), University of Cyprus, 14 Apr 2005.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Distributed Compression & Signal Processing in Sensor Networks”, as part of the Seminar on Sensor Networks given by Prof. Leo Guibas, 17 May 2005.
- G.S. Yovanof, “Management of Technology and Innovation in ICT,” and
- “An Overview of Wireless and Mobile Communications,” AIT Summer School, July 4-5, 2005
- G.S. Yovanof, “An Overview of Wireless and Mobile Communications,” and “Broadband Wireless Services,” in the context of the PROSTO training seminar, AIT Nov. 21-22, 2005
- G.S. Yovanof, “Management of Technology and Innovation in ICT,” Master Class of Bulgarian Business Leaders Forum (BBLF), Techn. Univ. Sofia, Bulgaria, Nov 28, 2005
- G.S. Yovanof, “Security Aware Routing & Cooperation Reinforcement in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks”, (Invited talk), FTW Telecommunications Forum, Techn. Univ. of Vienna (TU Wien), Nov. 26, 2004. http://www.ftw.at/ftw/events/telekommunikationsforum/WS2004/WS04docs/041126.txt
- Reviewer: IEEE Trans. On Information Theory & Signal Processing Society, IEEE Network Magazine, IEE Computers & Digital Techniques, IEE Wireelss Personal Communications Journal, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications & Networking - JWCN, J. Visual Comm. & Image Presentation; and, a number of Conferences, such as: IEEE GLOBECOM Ad-hoc and Sensor Networking (GC’07 ASNS), Globecom ’05-‘06, ICC06, ITCC05, ICU2005, IWWAN (’04, ’05), IASTED (CSN, WOC, WNET).
- Member of Technical Program Committee (TPC): PIMRC (’07, ’08), GLOBECOM (Ad-hoc and Sensor Networking, ASNS’07, Wireless Mesh & Sensor Networks WM&SN ’07), ICC’06, MASS’05, ITCC’05, IWWAN’04-’06, IWUWB’03-04, Int’l Conference on Ultra-Wideband/UWB (ICU 2005), Pervasive Systems 2006 & 2007 (PerSys'06, PerSys’07), IASTED CSN’05-’07, WOC’05-’07, & WNET’05-’06.
- Member of the International Program Committee (IPC): IASTED Int’l Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (CSN ’05, ’06, ’07, ‘08), IASTED Int’l Conference on Communication Systems and Networks, IASTED Int’l Conf. on Communication Systems and Networks (AsiaCSN 2008), IASTED Int’l Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications, (WOC ’07, ‘08), IASTED Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN ’07, ’08), IASTED Int’l Conf. on Wireless Networks and Emerging Technologies (WNET 2006).
- PhD Thesis Defense Opponent/ Member of a PhD Assessment Committee: Participated in the Assessment Committee for the PhD Thesis on “Context-Aware Privacy Protection Framework for Wireless Sensor Networks”, by Anelia Mitseva (advisor: Assoc. Professor Neeli Prasad, Aalborg University, & Prof. Ramjee Prasad, Aalborg Univ., Denmark), June 19, 2009.
- Served as the Thesis Opponent for a PhD thesis defense by Jens Eliasson. Thesis title: “Low-Power Design Methodologies for Embedded Internet Systems”. Advisor, EISLAB/Director, Prof. Jerker Delsing, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, April 4, 2008.
- Member of the Organizing Committee: CrownCom 2006, PIMRC 2007 (Tutorial Co-Chair).
- Chaired the “AI in Business & Finance”, Session-2 at the 4th IFIP Conf. on Artificial Intelligence Applications & Innovations, AIAI 2007; “System Components III”, Session-20 at the ICU2005 Workshop, Sep 7, 2005 ETH, Zurich; "Motion Picture Coding" session in the 27th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems & Computers, Pacific Grove, CA, Nov. 1993.
- Listed in the Marquis Who’s Who in Science & Engineering, the Marquis Who’s Who in Finance & Industry, the Marquis Who’s Who in the World, and Lexington’s Who’s Who. Areas of Technical Interest
- 4G Broadband Communications Systems, Ad-Hoc and Sensor networks, Multimedia Processing & Coding, Consumer Electronics, Optical Storage.
Senior Member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers).
Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece.
Dual citizenship: U.S.A and Greece.
MSIN Graduate Projects (6 projects):
- Nikos Nikopoulos Ns-2 Simulation of 802.16d MAC MSIN 8-May-08
- Ali Hassan Zein Agent-Based Business Model Simulations MSIN 23-Apr-08
- Mohammad Nasr Data Management System for Microclimate Monitoring in an Urban Environment MSIN 15-Jul-08
- Qiwei Han The Contemporary IPR Arena on Competing Technologies Towards 4G MSIN 5-May-09
- Laura Gabrilut A Techno-economic Analysis for Wireless Mesh Networks MSIN 15-Apr-09
- Orestis Exarchos (***Co-supervision with S. Vassilaras) An Optimal Hop-Count Transmission Scheduling with Maximum Delay Guarantees for DTN MANET's wth Intermittent Connectivity" MSIN 29-Apr-09
MSITT Graduate Projects (15 projects):
- Katerina Mytakidi (***Co-sup SVAS) Validation Of Wireless Ad-Hoc Network
- Simulation Tools (Opnet vs. Ns-2) - MULTICAST routing MSITT 7-Apr-08
- Geroudi Fenia (***Co-sup SVAS) Validation Of Wireless Ad-Hoc Network
- Simulation Tools (Opnet vs. Ns-2) MSITT 27-May-08
- Erjon Curraj IT &RFID Infrastructure Deployment & Techno-economic Analysis MSITT 9-Apr-08 & 28 Nov 2008
- Ezekiel Namacha The Future of Roaming in the ICT MSITT 26-Aug-08
- Spyros Tsevas Compression in Sensor Networks MSITT 25-Sep-08
- Stefanos Hatziagapis (***Co-sup XZIO) Market Forecasting - Mobile Services in Greece (Crystall Ball tool) + XZIO MSITT 15-Oct-08
- Dimitris Tzelios (***Co-sup SVAS) Ad-hoc networks MSITT 25-May-09
- Stavros Lefkaditis (***Co-sup SVAS) Simulation-based Analysis of Handover Performance in Mobile WiMAX Networks MSITT 15-Dec-08 Report: 30-Jan-09
- Dimitris Krithis ROI analysis of RFID Infrastructure/Tags Deployment in the Pharmaceutical/Medical Industry MSITT 23-Feb-09
- Eleftherios Kapasakalidis A techno-economic analysis of sensor network deployment in realistic application scenarios MSITT 2-Jul-09
- Francis Agbeko Gatsi Short-Range Wireless Technologies in the Healthcare Infrastructure of the Future MSITT 10-Sep-09
- Ioana Bardosi (***Co-sup SVAS) "A Study of Misbehavior in Ad Hoc Networks" MSITT 28-Sep-09
- Sona Kostanyan "Business Case Study of Femtocells" MSITT 29-Sep-09
- Alexandros Salis "MyBarDJ - Hybrid Social Networks" MSITT 16-Oct-09
- Mohamad Asif Raihan (***Co-sup SVAS) "Investigation and Performance Analysis of a Cooperative MAC Scheme" MSITT 23-Oct-09
MBIT Graduate Projects (54 projects):
- Rudina Duro CRM and Its Role in Developing a Competitive Strategy in the Banking Industry MBIT 11-Dec-07
- Eleftheria Vellidou The Market of Fraud Detection in e-Health MBIT 19-Dec-07
- Dimitris Kosmidis End-to-End Business Process Innovation MBIT 20-Dec-07 & 13-Oct-08
- Konstantinos Kehagias The e-health market in Greece-General trends and forecasts MBIT ????????
- Katerina Apostolaki Data Center Optimization Solution - A Business Plan for ICOM MBIT 19-Mar-08
- Sotirios Salloum-Fadi Formulating and Implementing a Competitive Strategy for a Late Entrant to the Greek Search Engine Price-Comparison Industry MBIT 20-Mar-08
- Iliopoulos, Panayiotis The Business Perspective of Information Security MBIT 1-Apr-08
- Dimitris Konitsiotis Market Analysis of Marine Lubes and Fuels Industry MBIT 1-Apr-08
- Sotiris Fotopoulos 2 dimensional (2D) Codes Introducing New trends in Modern Marketing MBIT 2-Apr-08
- Mahmud Jami Ahmed eMARKS Trademark Validation Service MBIT 8-Apr-08 &15-Sep-08
- Adam Vlachos Business Model for a SW Company Developing Innovation Management Tools MBIT 10-Apr-08 & 15-Sep-08
- Stavros Trypis Technical Communications as a Value-Adding Tool for Large Technology Firms MBIT 15-Apr-08
- Apostolos Katsiotis Customer Service & Customer Satisfaction MBIT 21-Apr-08
- George Papadakis Bankruptcy Models for the ICT Industry MBIT 24-Apr-08
- Askilov, Bojan RFID In the Medical Sector MBIT 8-Jul-08
- Basbayiannis, Renos Remote Gaming Market Analysis - Global and European Trends MBIT 8-Jul-08
- Mohammad Shahin An Evaluation Model for Assessing the Viability of CRM Solutions for SME’s MBIT 14-Jul-08
- Mouner Micheal Nijmeh An Analysis of the Business benefit of m-CRM Services for an Enterprise MBIT 25-Jul-08
- Michalis Samiotakis Security Metrics - A Way to Evaluate Information Security MBIT 8-Sep-08
- Grigorios Dimitropoulos Business Plan for A “Poll Opinion Website - FinancePoll.gr " MBIT 15-Sep-08
- Spyros Kontostanos Clusters: examining the evolution of the notion and its key characteristics. What are the main lessons for Corallia? MBIT 15-Sep-08
- Manolis Moundrianakis The Emerging Business Models in the Digital Music Industry MBIT 15-Sep-08
- Maen Mola Social Networks Sites: a marketing tool of a Platform for new business models? MBIT 16-Sep-08
- Amjad T. Alqaisi Jordan Telecommunications - Industry Evolution & Market Analysis MBIT 16-Sep-08
- Anastassios Milios Thin-Film BIPV Solution MBIT 18-Sep-08
- Efthymis Papavassileiou Development of a Strategic Plan for Intracom Telecom Libya MBIT 18-Sep-08
- Kostas Fiakas A Framework for Business Model Design based on Ontologies MBIT 21-Sep-08
- Michalis Sigalas Strategic Analysis of the Greek Energy Market Flow & Balance MBIT 1-Oct-08
- Fadi Hasweh GeTech - Geek-gifts Online - A Business Plan MBIT 1-Oct-08
- Ayman Bahou Application of ITIL Framework in IT Service Management MBIT 29-Sep-08
- Theo Bassayannis Mobile Virtual Network Operator MBIT 16-Dec-08
- Christos Pitsikalis Internet Evolution & Service Providers' Business Models MBIT 18-Dec-08
- Theodore Xypteras - Nick Tentomas Next Generation in Retail Banking - market Forecast & Strategic Positioning MBIT 11-Feb-09
- Theodore Pananos ‘Strategic Initiative for the Creation of a Biotech Cluster in Greece’. MBIT 1-Apr-09
- Dimitrios Boundris The Business case of Mobile Services over WiMAX MBIT 13-Apr-09
- George Kyriazidis Market and Industry Analysis of Health Informatics in Greece MBIT 19-Feb-09
- Pantazis Houlis Quantitative Methods in Capital Budgeting & Real Options Techniques MBIT 13-Apr-09
- Savvas Karantanis IPTV Evolution - Strategic issues for an IPTV provider in Greece MBIT 12-May-09
- Sanad Azab Market Forecasting, Mobile Services in Jordan MBIT 9-Mar-09
- Alex Farmakis The Role of Biomass in EU Energy Strategy. Cost Effectiveness & Eco-friendliness in the Wood Production Industry; The Alpha Wood Case MBIT 9-Jul-09
- Panos Georgakopoulos Managed Unified Communications Study MBIT 9-Jul-09
- Ibrahim I. Hamzeh ISLAMIC FINANCES: Mainstream Alternative to Conventional Finance MBIT 7-Sep-09
- Alex Stergiou The role of tele-working in future telecoms MBIT 12-Oct-09
- Vaitsa Chasapi Trade Finance Banking Application MBIT 14-Oct-09
- George Christianos The Market for Smartphone Applications: The
- perspective of a mobile marketing firm MBIT 16-Oct-09
- Sotiris Alexopoulos The Impact of Broadband Investment on Economy MBIT 3-Nov-09
- George Makrigiannis Techno-Economic Analysis of Waste-to-Energy Utilization, A Plasma Approach MBIT 3-Nov-09
- Themis Kordogiannis Broadband Services to Remote Areas: The Wireless Alternative MBIT 5-Nov-09
- Kathrine Chalari Mobile Payments - A Strategic Analysis MBIT 26-Nov-09
- Armen Inants Agent Mediated Personal Knowledge Management Systems in Semantic Web. MBIT 27-Nov-09
- Konstantinos Macheras An Industry Analysis of the Video Game Market & Future Endeavors from a VC Perspective. MBIT 1-Dec-09
- Marina Ntouzina Mobile Marketing - A New trend in Advertising Industry MBIT 2-Dec-09
Independent Studies (10 studies):
- Rami Halloush Heterogeneity in Sensor Networks MSIN Dec-07
- Islam Almalkawi WSNSim: Wireless Sensor Network Simulator MSIN Dec-07
- Stefanos Hatziagapis (***Co-sup XZIO) Mobile Services Market Forecast – Crystal Ball MSITT May-08
- Ali Hassan Zein Strategic Planning for the Convergent ICT Industry MSIN Apr-08
- Efi Vlachaki
- (***Co-sup XZIO) Marketing Innovations MBIT Dec-08
- Demosthenes Pappas Mobile Location Based Services MBIT 24-Oct-08
- Theodore Pananos Open Innovation: How Technology and Research Partnerships Create Value in the Biotech Business MBIT Sep-08
- Laura Gabrilut An Investigation of the Global Framework of Policies and Regulations for the Next Generation Networks (NGN) MSIN 15-Dec-08
- Aram Yegenian Openness as a Competitive Advantage MSIN 15-Dec-08
- Antonis Antonopoulos Course Management Systems (CMS), Learning
- Management Systems (LMS) and Virtual Learning Environments (VLE) MBIT 12-Feb-09
As an Associate Professor at the Athens Information Technology, Gregory has designed/co-designed, developed and taught the following courses:
Courses: Developed & Taught
- MBIT, AIT-47c “Innovation Management & Entrepreneurship” (Taught in : Fall ‘05, Fa06, Fa07). This course aims to develop the student’s understanding of the complex interactions in the commercialization of technological innovations and to provide them with a strategic perspective on the management of technology and innovation. www.ait.gr/acadPrograms/mbit/MBIT_Syllabus.pdf
Fa05, No. of Students: 30, Student Evaluation: 4.6/5.0
Fa06 #Enrolled: 30, Student Evaluation: 4.5/5.0
Fa07 #Enrolled: 51, Student Evaluation: 4.7/5.0
- MBIT, AIT-54e “Strategic Marketing of Products & Services”. The methods and principles of marketing new technology-based products and services are introduced with a focus on innovative strategies for bringing them to market. The issues of competitive strategy, pricing, customer service, international market differentiation, and new product launches are presented. The strategic role of marketing as an integrated part of the product development process and its role in the overall strategic planning of the firm are discussed. Qualitative and quantitative market research techniques, including sampling and data collection procedures, demand forecasting, and product research and test marketing are presented.
SP06 #Enrolled: 17, Student Evaluation: 3.8/5 (Co-instructor, G. Hazapis)
SP07 #Enrolled: 45, Student Evaluation: 4.8/5.0 (Sole instructor)
- AIT-14 “Wireless Communications” (co-instructor with Dr. Antonis Kalis. Taught in : Fall ‘03, Fa04, Fa05, Fa06). This course provides an introduction to EM wave propagation (radio wave propagation and channel models for indoors/outdoors/ wireless communications) and Digital Communications Theory (modulation formats and efficiency, signal processing and coding techniques, and multiple access techniques) and then addresses system design issues at the PHY and MAC layers of current and emerging broadband wireless systems and networks (Cellular, WLAN, WPAN, WMAN).
Fa06 #Enrolled: 5, Student Evaluation: 4.3/5.0
- MsITT, AIT-46e “Wireless Networks” (Co-instructor with Prof. S. Vassilarars) This course aims at providing an introduction to various wireless network technologies covering all deployment ranges (wireless PANs, LANs, MANs, WANs and wireless Internet), modes of operation (infrastructure based and ad hoc), and main protocols (cellular systems, Wi-Fi, WiMAX, Bluetooth). Emphasis is given on the MAC, network and upper layers issues and aspects of wireless communication networks.
Fa06 #Enrolled: 5, Student Evaluation: 4.3/5.0
- MSIN, MsITT, AIT-30e “Telecom & IT Management” (50%, co-instructor with Dr. Ioannis Tomkos) SP07. The purpose of this course is to provide students with an understanding of the key technical and managerial issues in the effective development and use of novel information and communication technology (ICT) systems and infrastructures.
SP07 #Enrolled: 15, Student Evaluation: 4.5/5.0
- Online course: AIT75c “Policies for Wireless Systems and the Internet”, CMU Instructor: Prof. Jon Peha. FA07 #Enrolled: 10, Student Evaluation: 4.8/5.0
- Online course (50% Co-instructor Prof. Lazaros Polymenakos): INI-14682 “Strategic Management of Technological Innovation”, CMU Instructors: Prof. Lamar Pierce & Prof. Francisco Veloso
SP07#Enrolled: 5, Student Evaluation: 4.8/5.0
EXECUTIVE TRAINING PROGRAMS – www.ait.gr/profPrograms/pdf/
Executive Seminars – Short Courses
- “Telecommunications & IT Management”, 20 hrs (Four Days, 5 hours/day), (Co-Instructor Dr. I. Tomkos), Mar 19-22, 2007 (Offered to OTE Academy);Mar 1-4, 2005. Course description: The purpose of this course is to provide students with an understanding of the key technical and managerial issues in the effective development and use of telecommunications and information system infrastructures by organizations. Topics covered will include basic concepts of telecommunication technology, issues related to the operational and strategic use of the technology, and the changing structure of the telecommunications industry. In addition an overview of the regulatory environment and how it affects the operation of the telecommunication industry will be presented. The course will also present select business case studies on issues related to access network.
- “Strategic Marketing of Services & Products,” 24hrs, Jun 4-7, 2007 (Co-Instructor G. Hazapis – offered to OTE Academy).
- “Strategic Marketing of Services & Products,” 20hrs, Dec 4-6, 2007 (Co-Instructor Dr. Xenia Ziouvelou – offered to OTE Academy).
- “Wireless & Mobile: Technological Issues & Market Trends”, 15 hrs, Nov 21-23, 2007, 2007 (Co-Instructor with C. Papadias – offered to OTE Academy).
- “An Overview of Wireless Communications,” ANTITESYS EU project, April 2003
- “Wireless and Mobile Communications: Technology & Market Outlook” (20 hrs - 5 Days), Jul 2004
Supervised PhD Students
- Dimitris Vogiatzis (in collaboration with Prof. L. Tassiulas, Univ. of Thessaly) Topic: “Quality of Service (QoS) and Cross-Layer Optimization for Mobile ad-Hoc Networks/MANETs”. D. Vogiatzis has been accepted in the UoT Ph.D. Program as of Sep, 2004. Expected Graduation 12/2008.
- Dimosthenes Pediaditakis, a participant to the joint AIT/Aalborg PhD program. Topic: “Programming Languages Abstractions for Sensor Networks”. Expected Graduation 12/2010.
- Supervised – MSIN M.Sc. Theses
- G. Alexandris, “An Efficient Landmark Routing Protocol for Clustered Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks”, MSIN Thesis Report, 23 Dec 2003.
- Kerem Ericsi, “Security Aware Multi-Hop Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks,” MSIN Thesis Report, 18 Dec 2003.
- Costas Korogiannis, “Space-Time Coding for Flat-Fading Channels”, MSIN Thesis Report, 17 May 2004.
- Jade Naaman, “RFID Security & STALIO”, MSIN Thesis Report, 20 Dec 2004.
- Ravishankar Manishankar: “Perrformance evaluation of an OFDM Broadband Wireless Access System in mobile broadband fading channels”, MSIN Thesis Report, 13 Jan. 2005
- Petros Skouloudakis, “Performance Evaluation of Time and Frequency Synchronization Schemes for OFDM Systems”, MSIN Thesis Report, 10 Jan. 2005
- E. Roumpeidou: “Analysis of Bluetooth Scatternet Formation & its Effects on the Performance of Multimedia Networking”, Co-supervised with Dr. S. Vassilaras, MSIN Thesis Report, 25 Apr. 2005
- C. Chatziathanassiou, “” The effect of Misbehavior on the performance of proactive routing protocols in Wireless Ad-Hoc networks””, Co-supervised with Dr. S. Vassilaras, 19 May 2005
- Appadodharana Chanderashekarapuram, “Security Architecture for Small Networks of Handhelds”, Co-supervised with Dr. S. Vassilaras, 27 Apr. 2005.
- Charuta Joshi, “Live and Prerecorded Video Transmission over Wireless Links”, Co-supervised with Dr. S. Vassilaras, 23 Dec 2005
- Chinwe Abosi , “Vehicle to vehicle communication: Internet on the Road”, Co-supervised with Dr. S. Vassilaras, 23 Dec 2005
- Panos Panagiotopoulos, “FEC throughput analysis and optimization of PMD sublayer in IEEE 802.16-2004 systems”, MSIN Graduate Project , 4 Apr. 2007
- Nick Nickopoulos, “Real-Time Embedded SW Development of 802.16a Mac FEC functions,” MSIN Graduate Project , expected completion date: Apr 2008.
- Ali Hassan Zein, “Agent-Based Business Model Simulations”, MSIN Graduate Project, expected completion date: Apr 2008.
- Supervised – MSITT M.Sc. Theses
- Panagiotis Tsiakos, “Simulation based Study of Video Transmission Over Wireless Ad-hoc Networks””, MSITT Graduate Project Report, 24 Feb. 2006.
- Ghassan El Abdallah, Zigbee Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks,” MSITT Graduate Project Report, 24 Feb. 2006.
- Jad Khater, “NS-2 Simulation Based Study of E2E Video Streaming over Ultra-Wideband (UWB) Wireless Mesh Networks”, MSITT Graduate Project Report, 13 Nov. 2006.
- Nikos Kefalakis, “Middleware for Emerging RFID Applications: Challenges & Prototype Implementation of MISLA”, MSITT Graduate Project Report, 8 Feb. 2006.
- Bogosavljev Milica, “Localization and Tracking based on an Integrated Platform of Quantum-GIS and MapServer Technologies”, MSITT Graduate Project Report, 20 Aug. 2007
- Katerina Mytakidi, “Validation Of Wireless Ad-Hoc Network
- Simulation Tools (Opnet vs. Ns-2) - MULTICAST routing”, MSITT Graduate Project Report, Aug. 2007.
- Geroudi Fenia, “Validation Of Wireless Ad-Hoc Network
- Simulation Tools (Opnet vs. Ns-2)”, MSITT Graduate Project Report, Aug. 2006.
- Supervised – MBIT M.Sc. Theses
- Sotiris Perdikeas, “e-Procurement and e-Logistics in the Maritime Industry”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, 18 Sep. 2007.
- Marilena Koliavasili, “How Virtual teams are Guided by Project Management and Technology for the Greek Industry”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, 27 Sep. 2007.
- Rudina Duro, “CRM and Its Role in Developing a Competitive Strategy in the Banking Industry”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, 11 Dec. 2007.
- Eleftheria Vellidou, “The Market of Fraud Detection in e-Health”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, 19 Dec. 2007.
- Dimitris Kosmidis, “End-to-End Business Process Innovation”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, 20 Dec. 2007.
- Konstantinos Kehagias, “The e-health market in Greece - General trends and forecasts”, MBIT Graduate Project Report, Jan. 2008.
Supervised - Independent Studies
- Daniel Owens, INI 14-741 Independent Study – “A Framework for Comparing Routing and Compression Schemes in Wireless Sensor Networks,” May 2004.
- Ioannis Tsirilakis, “Comparative Techno-Economic Analysis of Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) and ATM-Based Passive Optical Network (APON)”, Supervisors:
- I. Zacharopoulos, I. Tomkos, & G. Yovanof, 20 July 2004.
- Petros Skouloudakis, INI 14-741 "Study of the Capacity of Wireless MIMO Channels and Receiver Architectures for MIMO Systems," 3 Jan. 2005.
- Ravishankar Manishankar (Ravi), “Space Time Frequency Coding for Frequency-Selective MIMO channels”, INI 14-741, 14 Jan. 2005
- Charuta Joshi, INI 14-741 Independent Study – “Capacity Analysis of Multihop WiFi Networks”, 31 Aug. 2005.
- Appadodharana Chanderashekarapuram, INI 14-741, “Performance Evaluation of Security-Aware Routing Protocols for Ad-Hoc Nets”, 5 Jun 2005.
- Efrosyni Roumpeidou, INI 14-741, “An Investigation of the Energy-Efficiency of Multicast Routing Protocols for Ad-Hoc Networks”, 12 May 2005
- Stavros Lefkaditis, “CAPEX and OPEX Analysis of WiMAX and MEF”, MSITT Independent Study, 24 July 2007.
- Spyros Tsevas, “"An Investigation of MAC protocols for Vehicular Communications”, MSITT Independent Study, 20 Aug. 2007.
- Rami Halloush, INI 14-741 Independent Study, “Heterogeneity in Sensor Networks”, 20 Dec. 2007
- Islam Almalkawi, INI 14-741 Independent Study, “WSNSim: Wireless Sensor Network Simulator,” 20 Dec. 2007
- Ali Hassan Zein, “From Value Chain to Next Generation Value Network”, 20 Dec. 2007
- Stefanos Hatziagapis, “Mobile Services Market Forecast - Crystal Ball “, MSITT Independent Study, expected completion date Apr. 2008.
SERVICES OFFERED TO
AIT - Athens Information Technology
- Organized the WiMAX & the Road to Broadband Access, 1st AIT Annual Forum on Broadband Wireless Access (BWA), Dec. 6th, 2006, http://www.ait.gr/news/news_data.asp?news_id=203 http://www.ait.gr/wimax/agenda.asp
- Organized (along with G. Hazapis) the “Creating & Capturing Value in the Converging ICT Industry”, 1st AIT Annual Forum on the Management of Innovation & Technology, June 13-14, 2007, (the event was cancelled one-week before the scheduled date).http://www.ait.edu.gr/ict_business_models
- Has co-designed, organized and coordinated the launching of the MBIT program. Currently serves as the Graduate Program Director of the MBIT program.
- Has co-designed and he’s currently responsible for the Innovation Management Laboratory (along with Mr. George Hazapis)
- Along with Prof. C. Papadias, A. Kalis, and S. Vassilaras have been working on establishing a “Short-Range Wireless Research Lab at AIT” with a focus on Sensor Networks and Home Networking Applications
- Promotion of AIT’s educational programs in coordination with the Kokkalis Foundation/Kokkalis Program at the meeting of the Harvard Alumni Club of Serbia and Montenegro on Thu Feb 24 2005 at the law School of the University of Belgrade. Meeting with the Dean of the Electrical Engineering School of U.of Belgrade on Fri Feb 25, 2005.
- Promotion of AIT’s educational programs in coordination with the Intracom Bulgaria, at the Univ. of Sofia, Mathematics and Informatics Dept. on Mon Nov 28, 2005.
- Project Related Activities Prior to AIT
- (Bitmath Inc, 2000-2001) Optical Networking Forward Error Correction (FEC). Manager – Development of an Intellectual Property (IP) core implementing 1) the Out-Of-Band, RS(255,239) Reed-Solomon FEC scheme compliant to ITU-T G.709 Digital Wrapper standard, and 2) the In-Band 3-bit error correcting BCH(4359,4320) codec, compliant to T1.105.8 standard. The core is capable of running at up to 40 Gbit/s speed (supporting OC-192, OC-768 data rates).
- DVD-Data controller chip. Manager - ASIC product development (Cyclonics, 1997-2000). State-of-the-art multimedia chip (ECC, demodulation, DVD-navigation, embedded controller and firmware). This chip reached mass-market production volume and gained several market awards for its performance; it was used by AKAI in the award-winning DV-P4000 DVD-player. It was also used by Nakamichi (Japan).
- MPEG2 Video decoder chip. Manager - Multinational development team. (Cyclonics, 1997-1999). The functional performance of the IP core has been validated on an FPGA board (running at up to 5 frames/sec).
- Compression & Digital Video project (HP Labs/Computer Peripherals Lab, project, 1993-1996). Team member - Responsible for lossy/lossless image compression and image processing for computer peripheral devices.
- Main architect of the JPEG-compression core and key contributor to the data structure of the FlashPix image format (co-developed by HP, Microsoft, Kodak and Live Pictures, Inc.)
- Co-designed the imaging system of the first HP digital camera.
- Optimized the JPEG algorithm for several computer peripheral platforms.
- Co-developed the first JPEG ASIC chip developed by HP.
- Main architect of a JBIG HW core developed by the ICBD division of HP.
- Image Compression & Visualization project. Team member - Research on low complexity lossy/lossless image and video compression. (HP Labs/Media Technology Lab, project, 1993).
- Raster Page Processing project. Team member - Responsible for optimizing the performance of the JPEG algorithm and for investigating the performance of Arithmetic coding on halftone and grayscale images. Participated in several ANSI standards meetings. (HP Labs project, 1992)
- Principal Co-investigator, $350K basic research study for the development of new models and lossless coding techniques for color images. (Kodak/Research Labs project, 1991)
- Project leader, research and development of lossless compression schemes based on the adaptive arithmetic coding techniques and development of new approaches for estimating the joint entropy of color images. Kodak project, 1990)
- Team member, design and development of a high data rate, archival, recording and playback system using optical roll format media. (A Kodak/Federal Systems Division project, 1990-1991)
- Project leader, a fundamental research study to optimize the Lempel-Ziv compression scheme for use with a lossy DPCM codec for a digital color copier (1989)
- Project leader, development in software of a variety of lossless compression schemes for facsimile image compression (A Kodak project in support of the Joint Bilevel Image Group (JBIG), ISO/SC2/WG8, CCITT SG VIII, 1988)
- Team member, spectral analysis for the NRZI data stream for a tactical tape recorder (MIL-STD-2179A.) DC-free codes study, discrete time spectral analysis of 8/9 code. (Cyclotomics, 1989)
- Team member, development and implementation of a sync acquisition algorithm for a Datatape digital cassette channel decoder. Synchronization for a product code: inner code Reed-Solomon, RS(162,154), outer code, RS(128,112). (Cyclotomics, 1989)
- Team member, development and implementation of new methods for recovering clocking, tracking and de-smearing of digital data recorded on film. (Cyclotomics, 1989)
- “Proposal to Develop the Error Correction Module of a DOCSIS 1.2 Cable Data Modem Integrated Chip”, (Cyclonics, 3 Dec 1999) subm. to Philips Semiconductors
- “Proposal to Develop the Error Correction Module of a 3G, WCDMA Wireless Chipset”, (Cyclonics, Nov ‘99) subm. to HuaWei, Hualong, China-Unicom, China
- “A Business Plan for the development of MPEG2 Encoder/Decoder”, (Cyclonics, June 1999, a US$18M program proposal).
- “Proposal fort he Development of a Digital TV chipset”, (Cyclonics, May 1999, a US$8M program).
- “Proposal for the Development of a DVD-RAM chipset”, (Cyclonics, May, 1999, a US$7M program).
- A Lossless Adaptive data compression scheme for graphical images, (Electronic Pre-Press Systems, Inc./A Kodac Subsidiary, June 19 1989)
- NITF pre- and post-processor for the interoperation of STANAG-5000 tactical digital facsimile equipment, (April 10, 1989)
- Data compression scheme for medical images (Network Design & Solutions, Inc., May 11, 1989)
- A channel coder/decoder for the transmission of HDTV signals through a packet radio network, (Pacific Bell, March 15, 1990)
- Technical Reports
- "Sleek vs. JPEG Digital Camera Investigation", Hewlett-Packard Labs, HPL-96-47.
- "A Variety of Lossless Data Compression Schemes Applied to Medical Images," Kodak Berkeley Research Technical Report, Jan. 1991
- "Q-Coder: A Lossless Binary Arithmetic Coding Scheme," Kodak Berkeley Research Technical Report, Oct. 1990.
- "Adaptive Arithmetic Coding: A Lossless Compression Scheme," Kodak Berkeley Research Technical Report, Dec. 1990.
- "First Order Markov-model and Q-Coder: Hardware Implementation," Kodak Berkeley Research Technical Report, Dec. 1990.
- "Lempel-Ziv Compression Study," Cyclotomics Technical Report, Dec. 1989
- "A Forward Error Correction Scheme for the New Proposed Video Transmission Standard for Range Applications," Cyclotomics Technical Report, Sept. 1989
- "Lossless Data Compression Schemes for Patent Data," Cyclotomics Techn. Report, June 1989.
- "A Data Compression Scheme for Graphical Images," Cyclotomics Technical Report, May 1989.
- "Datatape Decoder Synchronization Algorithm," Cyclotomics Technical Report, March 1989.
- "Facsimile-Image Compression Schemes," Cyclotomics Technical Report, Dec. 1988.